Commuters were forced to line up outside train stations around the city as staff restricted entry due to suspended services.

When Typhoon Trami passed through Japan on Sunday night, heavy rain and fierce winds rocked buildings and windows around Tokyo, keeping many residents awake until the early hours of the morning. As the sun rose a few hours later, it brought clear skies and warm weather with it, but exhausted, bleary-eyed commuters trying to get around the city were in for a tough start to the week, as many train services remained suspended after the storm.

East Japan Railway, which shut down all its trains in the metropolitan area at 8 p.m. on Sunday evening, only partially resumed services by 9 a.m. Monday, meaning that thousands of passengers found themselves stranded during the morning peak hour period.

Making things even more problematic was the fact that at 4:45 a.m. a train on the Keio Line was damaged in Setagaya Ward after coming into contact with a wall that had collapsed close to the track due to the typhoon.

While there were no injuries, the incident meant that trains on the Keio Line were suspended for approximately four hours, causing stations to became overcrowded as commuters had no other choice but to wait it out.

▼ The queue for the Keio Line at Shinjuku Station.

Due to the service suspensions, rail staff restricted entry at a number of train stations in and around the capital, forcing passengers to queue up outside station buildings. Some of the most congested train stations included:

Mitaka Station

Koiwa Station

Akihabara Station

▼ And Kawasaki Station

At Kawaguchi Station the queue to enter stretched out on the ground level and on the level above as well.

The Joban Line was also suspended, creating long lines outside Tokyo’s Kameari Station and Matsudo Station at Chiba.

Other rail services, like the Chuo Line and Chiyoda Line, were also affected due to debris on the tracks after the storm.

Some Shinkansen services on the Tokaido line were disrupted due to fallen bamboo on the tracks.

This commuter complained about the chaotic feeling at Chiba’s Matsudo Station, with nobody knowing exactly where to stand and the constant noise of loud announcements by staff.

Even when services resumed from 9 a.m., stations and platforms remained crowded as trains slowly filled up with waiting passengers.

▼ This scene was filmed at Shinjuku Station.

According to news reports, approximately 1,300 regular train services and 10 Shinkansen services were cancelled or delayed on Monday morning, with close to a million people affected.

Typhoon Trami is reported to have killed four people and injured approximately 200 across 20 prefectures, with wind speeds breaking records since they were first kept at over 50 locations.

Source: Twitter/#入場規制
Featured image: Twitter/@eiji_ihara